Wednesday 4 August 2010

Death by Caching

Yesterday, an email alert came through announcing a new cache in the area. This new cache made up a short series of 5. I had already been 'First to Find' on the other 4 caches so I most definitely wanted the set. Once the kids were in bed, I headed out. I half expected to bump into a fellow cacher seeing as he was 'second to find' on the last 4 caches, but I didn't see him.
I parked up, walked the short distance to the cache, signed the log, left some geocoins, re-hid the cache and headed back down the path. I was under the impression that the path was a restricted byway, so only farm vehicles could use it. It was a bit of a shock to hear an engine roaring down on me. I leapt to the car, just as a 4x4 (SUV) whizzed by at a ridiculous speed. The dust left by the car made it impossible to see, but I could hear another 4x4 coming and I knew he couldn't see anything. I unlocked the car and switched on the lights and hazard lights to warn him. The second driver swerved past my car, narrowly missing me. If I hadn't switched my lights on, there could have been a very nasty mess.
Anyway, I got the FTF. The other cacher who had been 'second to find' was 2nd again!

No comments:

Post a Comment